Thursday, April 1, 2010

Daddy is Delivering Babies

I did not intend to only have an entry every six months or so, but oh well. So much has happened over the last year. Most recently Brian has headed down to Pueblo for his women's health rotation. Abby is spending the week in Colorado Springs. Zach is LOVING his perpetual "dates" with me. Nathan is enjoying a normal week of school. I am missing my husband and daughter, but am enjoying my Zach time also.



This morning the boys were talking to Brian on speaker while eating breakfast. They were casually talking about his day doing surgery, delivering babies, and working at the clinic. Then the following conversation began:

Zach: I want a baby sister.

Nathan: Yeah, we want a baby sister.

Daddy: You have one...her name is Abby.

Nathan and Zach: No she is 3 she is not a baby any more.

Daddy: Well we don't know what God has for us, but no baby sister right now.



Zach: Ohhh! Come on Daddy, just deliver us a baby sister.

Nathan: Yeah! Come on.

At this point Daddy had to go and I quickly realized that some clarification was needed.

Mommy (with a huge smile at the sweet misunderstanding): Zach, what do you think "delivering babies" means.


Zach: That's when you take babies to families who need them.


Mommy: Nathan, what do you think it is.


Nathan: It's like adoption!


Oh don't you just love children. I wonder how many things we talk to them about in which they have a completely different understanding.

I did explain that Daddy is helping mommies get their babies out of their tummies. I am sure that comes with its own set of misconceptions, which can stay for now. At least now they know that there isn't just a Baby Delivery Man who drives around delivering babies.

3 comments:

Nate and Katie said...

I loved it Sandra, such a great story!! Good just updating the blog, it looks great.
love you much!

Raini said...

Too Funny! I love kids, they make life so special and fun!!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I love how kids think. Thanks for sharing. Miss you lots!